After watching a few starter videos, and reading documentation, here are some of my initial thoughts:
- Statically compilied versus interpreted (like my dear Python language.)
- Performance is almost hard to believe compared to some other languages doing like processes.
- Memory-safety and thread-safety design ground up sounds like a dream come true for those of us who have fought those demons.
- Creates is to Rust what Pip is to Python.
- A lot of people seem to have issues (or at least a hard time understanding) what Rust’s Borrowing is all about.
- None over Null data type is interesting for a hard core C# developer.
- The Crab logo is odd, as is the entire “cRUSTaceans” name used by those who adore Rust.
- Linux kernel is going to have Rust support with v6.1. I never thought I would ever see anything but C in Linux kernel code.
- Redox is an entire operation system written in Rust
I think the first thing I am going to try to tackle with Rust is media file processing for Roadie. Perhaps re-write Inspector in Rust.
Wish me luck getting Rusty!