I saw this posting over on Fark yesterday and knowing how the previous Caturdays go I knew it would be a page filled with images, links, loads of text – a great page to do another quick browser memory test on.
So I started the browser, set the home page to nothing, closed. Started browser, pasted URL into the address bar hit enter. I then waited ten minutes for various memory collections to happen and give each browser a period to “stabilize”.
Here are the browsers I tested;
* IE 8.0.7100.0 64-bit – 248MB used
* IE 8.0.7100.0 32-bit – 245MB used
* Maxthon 220.127.116.1151 32-bit – 234MB used
* Opera 9.64 Build 10487 32-bit – 234MB used
* Firefox 3.5b4 32-bit – 137MB used
* Google Chrome 18.104.22.168 32-bit – 62MB used
So I guess the proof is in the memory usage, speaks volumes for WebKit to me.